Q: Who can purchase recreational marijuana and when?

A: On or after January 1, 2014, recreational marijuana may be purchased by adults over the age of 21, but only from a licensed retail marijuana store. It is ILLEGAL to purchase marijuana on the street or off the Internet.

Q: Where can I purchase recreational marijuana after January 1, 2014?

A: Adults over the age of 21 may purchase marijuana from a licensed retail marijuana store in Colorado. Only qualified Colorado medical marijuana patients will be able to purchase from a medical marijuana store, so make sure before you go shopping, the store you are visiting holds a retail marijuana license. Make sure you bring cash and a valid photo ID.

Q: How much marijuana can I possess?

Adults over the age of 21 may possess up to one ounce of marijuana. Qualified Medical Marijuana Patients may possess up to two ounces of marijuana.

Q: How much marijuana can an adult (21+) purchase from a licensed marijuana provider?

A: Colorado Residents may purchase up to one ounce of marijuana. Adults who do not have a Colorado ID may purchase up to a quarter of an ounce of marijuana in a single transaction from a retail provider.

Q: How much marijuana can I grow?

A: Under Colorado Law, adults 21+ may grow up to six plants and flower any three of them at one time. Growing must occur in a “closed and locked space”, and be away from any children in the home. You may possess 100% of all the marijuana you grow in your closed and locked space, which may be a home. Qualified Colorado Medical Marijuana Patients may grow up to six plants or their “Doctor recommended amount”, and half of the plants may be flowering at any one time.

Q: Can I sell my excess marijuana?

A: NO!! Only licensed marijuana businesses may sell marijuana for a profit.

Q: Can I give marijuana away to my friend?

A: Yes, you may give up to one ounce of marijuana to an adult friend (21+), BUT you must receive NOTHING in return. No donations, delivery fees, services, money, or hugs. Nothing.

Q. Where can I smoke marijuana in Colorado?

A: You cannot smoke “openly and publicly” or “in a manner that endangers others”. You may be able to smoke in a hotel room that allows smoking, but you should check with your hotel first to inquire as to what their smoking policies are when it comes to marijuana. You may be able to smoke at an event that allows smoking, but check with the event manager as to where you can smoke before lighting up. Do not smoke around children.

Q: Can I buy marijuana and take it out of state?

A: NO!!! Do not take marijuana purchased in Colorado across state lines. What is legal here may mean serious jail time in other states.

Q: Can I get fired for using marijuana outside of work?

A: Unfortunately, yes. You should check into your employer’s drug policy to find out if you could be at risk for being fired for your off-the-job marijuana use. In Colorado, Employers are not required to permit or accommodate the use, consumption, possession, transfer or sale of marijuana whether at the workplace or not.

Q: Can I still buy medical marijuana if I have a Medical Marijuana Card?

A: Yes, Medical marijuana laws are generally un-changed by Colorado’s retail marijuana laws. Adults 18 or older with Colorado Medical Marijuana Cards will still be able to purchase up to two ounces of medical marijuana from licensed medical marijuana providers.

Q: Does my out–of–state Medical Marijuana Card work in Colorado?

A: NO. Out-of-State Medical Marijuana Cards cannot be used to purchase marijuana in Colorado.

Q: Can I smoke and drive?

A: NO. Marijuana can cause impairment which decreases over time. Safe times after smoking may be as little as two or three hours, and as much as 24 or more hours. Edibles require more time before safe driving.

Q: Can my friend smoke in my car with my permission?

A: NO. Colorado has an open container law on marijuana similar to alcohol. Any marijuana should be kept in your trunk. It is recommended you store your marijuana in an airtight container to prevent the smell of marijuana from entering your car.

Q: If two adults (over 21) are riding in a car, can they each legally have their own ounce in the trunk or would the presence of two ounces make it illegal?

A: Each person is entitled to one ounce without a red card, however, it might be a problem if the two ounces are in the same container. Also, depends on what you say to a police officer; as long as everyone says, one ounce is mine, the other is hers/his, it should be fine.

Q: How do I get into the Canna-business?

A: Colorado NORML does not offer advice on starting a canna-business. It is recommended you ask a lawyer who specializes in marijuana business law. If you are unsure where to start please contact a NORML attorney. Colorado's NORML attorneys can be found here.