About Colorado NORML Women's Alliance
The evidence is overwhelming that marijuana can relieve certain types of pain, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms caused by such illnesses as multiple sclerosis, cancer and AIDS -- or by the harsh drugs sometimes used to treat them. And it can do so with remarkable safety. Indeed, marijuana is less toxic than many of the drugs that physicians prescribe every day.Jocelyn Elders M.D., Former US Surgeon General
We are bringing a contemporary approach to the public policy debate and proudly represent the interests of modern, mainstream women who believe that the negative consequences of prohibition far outweigh any repercussions from the use of marijuana itself.
The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance is a nonpartisan coalition of socially and geographically diverse women who believe that marijuana prohibition is a self-destructive and hypocritical policy that undermines the American family, sends a mixed and false message to our young people, and destroys the cherished principles of personal liberty and local self-government.
The Colorado NORML Women are bringing a contemporary approach to the public policy debate, and are proudly representing the interests of modern, mainstream women who believe that the negative consequences of marijuana prohibition far outweigh any repercussions from marijuana consumption itself. The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance also presents a core group of spokeswomen ready to interact with the public and the media on the important issue of marijuana legalization.
Declaration of Principles
The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance holds these positions:
- The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance believes that the fiscal priorities of marijuana prohibition are wasting billions of dollars on a failed policy.
- The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance believes that marijuana prohibition violates states’ rights, and improperly expands the reach of government into the families and personal lives of otherwise law-abiding citizens.
- The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance advocates for an open, honest conversation about marijuana with America’s youth that is void of all propaganda and misleading information.
- The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance endorses the science-based evidence regarding the therapeutic applications of medical marijuana as well as the continuation of research into the subject.
- The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance strongly opposes the sexual exploitation and objectification of women in pot-culture and business marketing.
According to a comprehensive 2005 NORML Foundation report examining marijuana arrests and use rates, shockingly, over one million youth sell or transfer marijuana annually in the United States.
A marijuana policy that fosters children selling marijuana en mass must immediately change and be replaced by one that effectively stops children from trafficking in marijuana.
The Colorado NORML Women’s Alliance seeks to replace a failed, tax coffer-draining and child endangering cannabis prohibition with functional, tax-producing and youth-friendly cannabis policies consisting of legal and social controls that are not at all dissimilar to our existing, common sensible and ever-evolving alcohol policies.